A Prayer For Increase VS. A Spirit Of Gratefulness

Posted: June 6, 2013 in Uncategorized
Tags: , ,

increaseYesterday I was listening to a gospel station on Pandora, and a song came on talking about increase. I don’t remember the exact words but the chorus sang about asking and believing God to provide increase in your life. It got me to thinking about a trend I am seeing in churches today. Perhaps the trend has always been there, but I’m seeing it more widely spoken about in churches in the present. I’m talking about the prayer or mention for financial increase.

Now I have only attended church in the United States (as far as I can remember anyway). So when I’m sitting in church people who have clean clothes, cars, homes, jobs, and families surround me. That’s just from what I can see. While I am well aware that all of these things I’ve mentioned cost money to have and maintain, it seems to me that we have a lot more than a lot of people around other parts of this world. The more I thought about this, the more I began to realize that no matter how much of an increase God gives us throughout life, it never seems to be enough to satisfy us. We are always asking for more. What are we doing with what God has given us already?

images-95Once upon a time I would spend about 5% of my time thanking God during prayer and the other 95% of the time asking God for favors or for “increase” in some way, shape, or form. I’m not exactly sure where the transition occurred along the way, but now most of the time when I pray I just spend that time thanking God for all that I have and all that he’s done already. I try not to ask for anything these days. Yes, there are still things I want or need (or think that I need), but when I stop and take an account of my life I realize I already have way more than I deserve. How dare I ask him for increase when I haven’t even taken the time to appreciate or make the most out of all the increase he’s already given me?

It just seems to me that if we spent less time preaching increase and more time evoking the spirit of gratefulness, we might realize we already have more than enough. It’s like the more increase we get, the more we squander. Then we turn around and ask for more increase. God provides us with intelligence and logic. These are the tools we sometimes overlook that can help us achieve and maintain the increase we want. Furthermore, I think that spending more time being grateful and saying thank you will lead us to realize that we may not even need the increase we think we do. It is up to us to make the most of what is given to us.

 

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say thank you? ” 
— William Arthur Ward

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” 
— Epicurus

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s